Creating critical thinkers, skilled communicators, new leaders
The Washington State University Office of Student Media empowers student leaders from all majors while promoting engaged citizenship through transformative, hands-on learning and real-world application of journalistic, communication, business, creative and critical thinking skills in an innovative and accessible professional environment.
· Advance critical thinking and community engagement by informing and challenging our large and diverse campus audience through student-led and produced media in multiple formats.
· Provide a supportive, accessible and comprehensive learning experience that allows students to make content and staff management decisions, in accordance with the Student Media Bylaws, industry standards and applicable laws and ethics.
· Maintain a professional working environment that prepares students on industry-standard equipment, and facilitates a working knowledge of emerging media trends, technologies, strategies and considerations.
· Develop an informed student body through media content that reflects the wide range of experiences, backgrounds, and views of the campus community; accurately cover news and topics relevant to the campus community and foster dialogue on issues of importance to the campus, region, nation and world.
· Build a legacy of perseverance, accomplishment and innovation by maintaining an organizational culture that values continuous objective assessment and critical feedback, and prioritizes and celebrates the development and improvement of students and staff at all levels within the organization.
· Be a national leader in the student media industry with engaging coverage and innovative storytelling.
The Daily Evergreen
The Daily Evergreen is a national award-winning newspaper with a 5,200-circulation that is distributed weekdays throughout the academic year, and weekly in the summer. Students of all majors and interests are hired to write stories, take photographs, make graphics, sell advertising, and train one another in writing, editing and reporting.
Students' memories are captured in colorful photographs and stories in Washington State University's annual yearbook, Chinook. Since 1899, the Chinook has documented the sports, clubs, Greek houses and other campus communities.
The annual student-produced visitor magazine offers practical tips and fascinating feature stories about WSU and the surrounding area.
The dailyevergreen.com website is continually updated with news from The Daily Evergreen. Students of all majors and interests can apply for paid positions to develop fresh content, apply their computer programming skills or serve in leadership positions.