Skip to main content

Student Media

Frequently Asked Questions

For questions not answered here, call The Office of Student Media at (509) 335-4573, visit us in Murrow 113,

or send an e-mail to

  • How do I get involved with The Office of Student Media?

    Go to Murrow 113 and fill out a job application for Chinook or The Daily Evergreen. Staff can direct you to the right student manager depending on your areas of interest. Most positions are paid and provide students with valuable career experience.

  • How do I submit a letter to the editor?

    Typed letters to the editor may be mailed or brought to Murrow Center 122 or e-mailed to All letters under 300 words are considered for publication in The Daily Evergreen. A name, signature and phone number must accompany all letters. The Evergreen reserves the right to edit for space, libel, obscene material and clarity. Guest commentaries of 500 words or less also are considered for publication. Guest commentaries are subject to the same submission and editing guidelines as letters to the editor.

  • How do I submit my news and announcements?

    Getting information into the newspaper is free but at the discretion of the student editors. To increase the chance your news gets in the paper:
    • Send in a press release. Send it via e-mail, mail or fax (contact information below).
    • Focus on how it affects students and staff/faculty.
    • Send it early.
    • Provide contact information.
    • News tips or story ideas are encouraged any time.
    Mailing Address:
    P.O. Box 642510
    Pullman, WA 99164-2510

    Evergreen Newsroom:
    Murrow Center, Room 122
    News: (509) 335-2465,
    Life: (509) 335-1140,
    Sports: (509) 335-1140,
    FAX: (509) 335-7401

  • What do I do if I have a complaint?

    If you have a correction, complaint or suggestion for The Daily Evergreen or Chinook:
    • Call the student editor or manager directly:
      Evergreen editor at (509) 335-3194 or e-mail at
      Chinook editor at (509) 335-2490 or e-mail at
      Advertising manager at (509) 335-2124 or e-mail at
    • For operational issues, call Student Media Director Richard Miller at (509) 335-5138 or e-mail at
    • A list of members of the Student Media Board, who elect student managers, can be found on this Web site.

  • How much does a classified ad in the Evergreen cost?

    It costs $1.30 per line per day for three lines (the minimum). Each line is about 32 characters long. The ad will run in the paper and on

  • How much is a display ad in the newspaper?

    The cost of display advertising depends on the size of the ad. We also offer a variety of online ads. For more information and our current rate card, please visit

  • What is the deadline for scheduling a display ad?

    Three days prior to publication.

  • Is there any discount if I prepare the ad myself?

    No. Advertisement creation is a provided service. The advertising rate pays for the space provided.

  • If I prepare the ad myself, how should I send it in?

    As an e-mail attachment. PDF is the preferred format. Please contact us for details. Send files to:

  • Is there a lower ad rate for campus departments?

    Yes. Please see our current rate card for details.

  • How do I pay for my ad?

    Several ways. IRI if you're a campus department. Local businesses and other off-campus advertisers must prepay with cash, check or credit card (MasterCard or Visa only).

  • Is there a special rate for students?

    Students get the same low rate as campus departments. Student organizations can apply for free ads, thanks to funding from the S&A Fee Committee. Please go to Coug Sync and search for Student Advertising Fund Application.

  • Can you design the ad for me?

    Absolutely! We have a staff of graphic designers who will create your ad and provide you with a proof to make sure everything is the way you like it. There is no extra cost for this service. The advertisement must be turned in by 4 p.m. three business days before publication.

  • How do I get my yearbook if I've already moved away?

    Send a check for $5 for shipping and handling if you live in the United States (varies according to destination) if you live outside the United States) to: WSU The Office of Student Media, P.O. Box 642510, Pullman, WA 99164-2510. You can also call the Student Publications office at (509) 335-4573 and charge the amount to your Visa or MasterCard.