Student Media Board
Minutes for October 31, 2018
I. Call to Order
Jennifer Murray, board chair, called the meeting to order at 4:15 p.m.
Other members present were:
Ana Maria Alaniz Mendoza, Matthew Winchell, Dylan Greene, Christian Shaffer, Kayla Rott, Latisha Jensen, Emily Mattson, Hannah Martian, Lorena O’English, Richard Miller and Matt Haugen. Board members absent: Veneice Guillory-Lacy, Ella Spillane, Taylor Swanson, Rachel Wong, Benjamin Shors, Karen Breese and Rebecca Goodrich.
Staff member: K. Denise Boyd
II. Introduction of new member: Lorena O’English
III. Approval of April 25 and Sept. 26, 2018, minutes
• April 25 minutes approved as read
• Sept. 26 minutes approved as read
Dylan Greene, editor-in-chief:
• Halloween edition was distributed today
• Dad’s Weekend edition will be 12 pages and an eight-page sports weekend insert plus an Inland 360 insert
• Starting to train potential replacement for editor-in-chief
• Collaborating with the University of Washington student newspaper to get stories for the Apple Cup edition.
Emily Mattson, manager, advertising:
• Sales are above goals
• Staff training continues with improved communication with advertising reps
• Sending out emails to the advertising staff, having them call “dibs” on new clients
• Training Clayton Fincher to be the new advertising manager
• Working on plan to use Lewiston Tribune sales staff to help sell ads in the Lewiston/Clarkston area.
Kayla Rott, manager, marketing
• Street teams: Tabling on Friday and handing out sports editions at games
• Continuing to work on staff page, getting close to being done
• Working on a video campaign to encourage donations
Hannah Martian, editor, Chinook yearbook
• Full staff is now hired – two more photographers; two writers and one designer
• April 22 is estimated delivery date
• There will be 156 pages, plus the cover. Yearbook won’t include Cougar Card photos.
Latisha Jensen, editor Visitor Guide
• Hired a graphic designer
• Holding weekly meetings
• 48 pages in this year’s edition
• Feb. 22 is the anticipated publication date
Ana Maria Alaniz Mendoza, manager, creative/graphics
• Hiring an additional staff person
• Student Advertising Fund has seen increase in design requests
V. New Business – none
VI. Public Comments – none
The meeting adjourned at 4:48 p.m.
Minutes taken by K. Denise Boyd, fiscal specialist